I received this in the comments section of a previous post and thought I would clear up some obvious misconceptions this anonymous blogger has about the responsibilities of a minister of the Gospel. The comments were as follows:
God bless you, dear young brother in Christ.
I happened upon this blog by accident and probably will not pass this way again, so you can take or leave the following comment--not on this particular post, which I have not read, but on the byline "You know that preacher that offends people when he preaches because sometimes its hard to swallow the truth of God's Word...yeah, that's me." and the photo . . .
The photo forces me to look up at you from below, and the byline implies: (1) I enjoy offending people and (2) when I speak, it's God talking.
Of course that's not what you mean. But it's implied nonetheless.
I'm reminded of a story: The story is told of an arrogant young preacher who headed up to preach full of pride and confidence in himself. The sermon went poorly and he returned to his seat at the close dejected, quiet, and reflective. A dear old saint spoke to him at the door, "Young man, if you had gone up the way you came down, you would have come down the way you went up."
Young is fine. Conservative is fine. Arrogant is not.
There are many obvious issues with these comments that are clearly seen at first glance. Not the least of which is the assumption that Anonymous has made that he/she has some responsibility to leave these remarks, which of course they don't especially anonymously and without reading any part of the blog other than a twenty-four word byline. There are, however, theological issues with some of the assertions made.
- I know very few people who enjoy offending people. There are however many people who love being offended. I follow the thinking of Brad Stine in the instance when he says that he is offended by offended people. There is a movement in preaching, especially among moderates and liberals, to water down the Gospel and strip away any notion of sin and Hell. This is most often done in the name of political correctness or in an attempt to grow the numbers of people who are willing to listen. The fact remains, however, that the Gospel is going to be offensive when communicated faithfully. Throughout the New Testament the Gospel and its results offended those who either don't understand it1 or those who simply do not like its implications.2
With this overwhelming evidence it should be understood that offending is not something to be avoided, but is merely a byproduct of preaching the Truth of God's Word, that Truth and Word being Christ. - The ridiculous notion that I think I literally am God speaking when I preach is an absurdity. I can only assume that this comes from being familiar with others who do think this as they speak, considering I am familiar with no one, from any denomination, background or educational accomplishment that would think this of themselves. However this does bring up another theological issue with the comments left. When a preacher steps into the pulpit he needs must be confident that God is going to speak through him. He has prepared for this throughout the week and as he begins to share what God has put on his heart, he must trust that the Holy Spirit3 is going to direct him and work in the hearts of those who are listening4. So I beg all preachers never to go into the pulpit dejected from the beginning. Go up with boldness, as those who first witnessed to Christ.5
The issue with my picture is to illogical to even merit some type of reply or justification. If you don't want to look up at my ugly mug, don't. Now to the rude assertion, without knowing, I assume, who I am, that I am arrogant. I have considered my calling and I am indeed have no problem boasting in it6
and nor should you.
- I Corinthians 1:18
- Matthew 13:54-58; Acts 16: 19-23; Acts 4:1-3; Acts 6:8-12; 1 Peter 2:6-8; Mark 6:3; Matthew 15: 11-14;
- Acts 8:35; 1 Peter 1:12; Luke 1:67; Acts 1:18; Acts 4:8; Acts 4:31;
- Acts 10:44
- Acts 4:31; 2 Corinthians 3:12; Ephesians 3:12
- I Corinthians 1:26-31
1 comment:
Mike,
Anonymous people are cowards....
Keep on letting the Truth offend.
Always has always will.
Post a Comment