Thursday, October 9, 2008

Funerals

I preached my first funeral today. It wasn't what I expected. Mrs. Lena Krueger, 93, passed away on Tuesday morning. I had only knew her for the last year but it definitely a friendship that I will miss. She had led a good life and leaves a legacy that we all should hope for. I preached from II Timothy 4:5-8 and posed the question, "Are you ready"? Paul tells Timothy, who was like a son to him, that there was a crown of righteousness ready for him, but not him alone, but all who love the appearance of the Lord.
I used the text that family wanted (II Timothy 4), yet the message is one that gets left out of a lot of funerals. What an opportunity to share the Gospel. That is what the one whose gone on to be with their Sheppard would want an audience to hear. They are in the arms of the Savior and want you to be there with them, just as Christ wants you there with Him. We as pastors should never pass up the chance to share the Gospel with people who want to hear it.

No comments:

Sermons