Wednesday, July 2, 2008

President ?????????

Yesterday a fellow pastor made the comment in a sermon that the best we could hope for was a godly Vice-President in the upcoming election. It got me to thinking about the faith of the men running for President of the United States. Plenty of people talk about being people of faith, but I wanted to check out the canidates in their own words:

Barak Obama:

"I find it hard to believe that my God would consign four-fifths of the world to hell. I can’t imagine that my God would allow some little Hindu kid in India who never interacts with the Christian faith to somehow burn for all eternity. That’s just not part of my religious makeup." - http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/386118.aspx

"I don't presume to have knowledge of what happens after I die. When I tuck in my daughters at night and I feel like I've been a good father to them, and I see that I am transferring values that I got from my mother and that they're kind people and that they're honest people, and they're curious people, that's a little piece of heaven." - http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/386118.aspx

"I've got two daughters. 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby. " -March 29, 2008, Johnstown, Pennsylvania

This notion that's peddled by the religious right - that they are oppressed is not true. Sometimes it's a cynical ploy to move their agenda ahead. The classic example being that somehow secularists are trying to eliminate Christmas, which strikes me as some kind of manufactured controversy." - BARACK OBAMA, Street Prophets interview, Jul. 11, 2006

"I felt that I heard God's spirit beckoning me. I submitted myself to His will, and dedicated myself to discovering His truth.
That's a path that has been shared by millions upon millions of Americans - evangelicals, Catholics, Protestants, Jews and Muslims alike; some since birth, others at certain turning points in their lives. It is not something they set apart from the rest of their beliefs and values. In fact, it is often what drives their beliefs and their values." -http://obama.senate.gov/speech/060628-call_to_renewal/index.php

John McCain quotes are coming tomorrow!

No comments:

Sermons